- EAMT 2016. Research programme chair. May 2016
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions of the Spanish Linguistics Olympiad. Academic years 2013-2014, 2014-2015 and 2015-2016.
- Workshop on Hybridisation of Machine Translation for Irish. Dublin City University. April 2016.
- Workshop on Quality Translation: Where Are We Now, and Where Are We Going? (at EAMT 2014). June 2014.
- Tutorial on the PANACEA project at MT Summit 2013 (with Marc Poch). [slides-pdf]
- Workshop on Agile Software Management for Research Environments. Dublin City University. April 2013.
- Shared Tasks: TweetMT at SEPLN 2015, All-words Word Sense Disambiguation on a Specific Domain at SemEval-2 (2010), , Lexical Substitution at EVALITA 2009, and Word Sense Disambiguation at EVALITA 2007
- NCLT Seminar series. Dublin City University. Academic year 2011-2012.
Scientific Committees2017: ACL, *SEM, CLiC-it, Translation and the Computer, Social MT (at EAMT), MLP
2016: COLING, LREC
2015: EMNLP, EAMT, WMT (at EMNLP), WNACP (at NLDB), EAMT Best Thesis Award
2014: COLING, LREC, WMT (at ACL), SaLTMiL (at LREC), DeepLP4QApp (at EACL), EAMT Call for Proposals
2013: MT Summit, EAMT Best Thesis Award
2012: LREC, FreeRBMT, Language Resource Merging (at LREC)
2011: FreeRBMT, TextInfer (at EMNLP), EAMT Best Thesis Award
ReviewerJournals: Natural Language Engineering, Artificial Intelligence Journal, Entropy, Language Resources and Evaluation, Machine Translation, Asian and Low-Resource Language Information Processing (TALLIP), IEEE Transaction on Emerging Topics in Computing, Northern European Journal of Language Technology, Procesamiento del Lenguaje Natural Journal, National Academy Science Letters Conferences: PACLIC 2010, IWSLT 2013
- Rolf Kuipers, MA student. April - September 2017. Distant Supervised Multilingual Emotion Detection. Co-supervision with Malvina Nissim.
- Alberto Poncelas. PhD student. November 2015 - September 2016. Improved data selection for SMT. Co-supervision with Andy Way.
- Víctor Sánchez-Cartagena. Seconded Researcher (from Prompsit Language Engineering). December 2015 and April 2016. Neural MT for morphologically-rich languages.
- Tommi Pirinen, Postdoctoral Researcher. March 2014 - February 2016. MT for morphologically-rich languages. Now Research Associate at the Hamburg Centre for Language Corpora.
- Jorge Ferrández-Tordera. Seconded Researcher (from Prompsit Language Engineering). October - November 2014 and April 2015. Cloud-based language models for MT.
- Arefeh Kazemi, Visiting PhD student (from University of Isfahan). November 2014 - February 2015. Depencency-based Reordering in Hierarchical SMT. Co-supervision with Andy Way.
- Ximo Planells, Research Assistant. April - October 2014. Automatic MT Retraining in a Web-based CAT Tool. Now engineer at Google.
- Aswarth Dara, Research Assistant. July 2013 - June 2014. Active Learning to Minimise Post-editing of SMT. Now PhD student at Carnegie Mellon University.
- Keith Curtis, Intern MSc student. June - August 2013. Linguistically-augmented Data Selection for Machine Translation. Now PhD student in DCU.
- Santiago Cortés. Seconded Researcher (from Prompsit Language Engineering). March - April 2013. Linguistically-augmented SMT. Now Developer at Ammeon Ltd.
- Amir Kamran, Intern PhD student (from University of Prague). September - November 2012. Factored Models in Machine Translation with Limited Domain-specific Parallel Data. Now researcher at University of Amsterdam.
- Renu Balyan, Intern PhD student (from IIT Delhi). August - November 2012. Diagnostic Evaluation of Machine Translation for Indian Languages. Co-supervision with Sudip Naskar.
- Alejandro Mosquera, Visiting PhD student (from Universitat d'Alacant). April - July 2012. Normalisation of Web 2.0 Texts with Machine Translation. Now Senior Principal Research Engineer at Symantec.
- Giulia Sarti, Intern BSc student. 2009. Annotation for a Lexical Substitution Shared Task.
- Examiner for PhD viva. Marina Fomicheva. The Role of Human Reference Translation in Machine Translation Evaluation. Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain. 2017.
- External examiner for PhD viva. Víctor Sánchez-Cartagena. Building machine translation systems for language pairs with scarce resources. Universitat d'Alacant, Spain. 2015.
- Examiner for PhD transfer. Jingyi Han. Phrase Table Expansion for Statistical Machine Translation with reduced parallel corpora: the Chinese-Spanish Case. Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain. 2014.
- Examiner for PhD viva. César de Pablo. Bootstrapping Named Entity Resources for Adaptive Question Answering Systems. Universidad Carlos III, Spain. 2010.
- Parallel Corpora in (Machine) Translation: goals, issues and methodologies. Time in Translation Kick-off Workshop. University of Utrecht, The Netherlands. June 2017.
- MT for Finnish in the Abu-MaTran Project. Workshop on Machine Translation for Morphologically-Rich Languages (FINMT 2016). University of Helsinki, Finland. September 2016.
- Machine Translation of Novels. Invited talk at Universitat d'Alacant (Spain). December 2015.
- Career Progression: From Postdoc to Research Fellow to major grant holder. Invited talk at the CNGL Showcase, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland. November 2014.
- Web 2.0, Language Resources to build a Multilingual Named Entity Lexicon. Workshop "Eventualità, temporalità, testualità: aspetti teorici e computazionali". University of Pavia (Italy). November 2009.